Hi Xavier,

The "Functions Reference" and other documents related to the 5250 protocol are still available. There are links from the TN5250 home page on SourceForge.

http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/resources.html

The fact that you're using a TCP connection (via the sockets interface) doesn't preclude you having to understand the 5250 protocol described in the Functions Reference. If you're coding TN5250, you still have to understand 5250. The socket is just the interface for sending that 5250 data over the network.

You can, however, choose to use a different terminal type besides 5250. VT100, for example (as I already suggested in another thread.) That doesn't totally solve the problem, because now you have to code VT100 instead of 5250 -- but VT100 is much simpler and closer to being human-readable.

Unless you're suggesting that he replace the 5250 interface with a pure custom socket approach. But then he has to change the software on the remote server, instead of being 5250 for itnerfacing for a user, he needs to change it to interface with a program. And if he does that, he might as well use a standard interface (such as web services) instead of a custom socket program.