On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Aaron Bartell wrote:

I have TN5250 up and running just fine but there are a couple of things
that are driving me nuts. One, I can't seem to get my keys remapped - in
particular I can't get the Field Exit to be mapped to the Right Control
key, the "reset" key mapped to the Left Control key, and have the
backspace key delete the text it is backspacing over. I have brought up
us5250.map in an editor but am completely lost as to how I can make the
changes I detailed above - is there a man page for how the keycode works?

us5250.map is only used to change the linux console key mappings. The changes you describe below apply to xt5250 (which I see are working for you now). If you are new to linux there is a chance you haven't ever dealt with the linux console. If you have a GUI then you aren't on the console and us5250.map is not what you need to be changing.

The other issue I am having is getting the resolution to be higher (i.e.
bigger font for my already failing eyes).

I have read through James' fine tutorial and have put together the
following .tn5250rc file in my home directory. The font values were taken
from the xfontsel command which is what I am assuming I was supposed to do
but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I

red {
host = 192.168.11.22
env.TERM=IBM-3477-FC
+uninhibited
env.USER = AARON
font_80=-monotype-*-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
font_132=-misc-*-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
}

These font settings only affect xt5250 (which you have already discovered). Generally, using xt5250 is the way to go.

I am using tn5250 version 0.17.3

We just released version 0.17.4 - you may want to install that instead.

On a final note I am fairly new to Linux (switched over in the past 6
months) so if I am being totally dumb with something you will know why :-)

Everybody is new at some point! Welcome!

James Rich

if you want to understand why that is, there are many good books on
the design of operating systems. please pass them along to redmond
when you're done reading them :)
- Paul Davis on ardour-dev