James,

I don't agree with removing tn5250.c from the Makefile.am as a solution. That's a kludge at best.

I agree with shelving SLang for now, and I suggest removing it from configure.ac and changing the files in the slang/Makefile.am to EXTRA_DIST so that it can't be configured or build (but the code is still in the package should anyone want to revive it later.)

I'll be happy to make those changes and commit them.