I am setting up tn5250 and trying to use the 5292-2 terminal emulation,
Ubuntu 6.06.1, Gnome Desktop, Gnome Terminal, did not compile from
source but rather installed package from Ubuntu repository.

I can connect to an AS400 (V4R5) no problem, have figured out keyboard
mapping (remap the enter and contol_r keys), and have been experimenting
with different fonts and sizes using xt5250 and /usr/share/tn5250/XTerm.

The AS400 has an application that is critical to business needs that
utilizes GDDM graphics to display line drawings composed programatically
rather than charts and graphs.  These line drawings include
"cross-hatching" and text.

When I connect utilizing Client Access under Windows and try to display
these graphics I just get a blank screen when the program tries to
display these graphic screens (which is expected.)  When I connect
utilizing tn5250 under Ubuntu utilizing the 3270 emulation I get the
same thing (again as expected.)  When I connect utilizing tn5250 under
Ubuntu utilizing the IBM-5292-2 and try to display the graphics I get
the following:

"(space)111111111111111111n"

I then push the enter key and get

"(space)1"

I then push the enter key and get

"(space)mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn"

I then push the enter key and return to an appropriate screen that
displays correctly.

The AS400 currently auto-creates devices of name QPADEVXXXXX and I have
checked the type listed (wrkcfgsts *dev) then #8 for display description
and the device is listed as "5292" on the AS400.

I guess I have a couple of questions:

1.) Does anyone have any experience with GDDM graphics? (I searched the
mailing list archives and found nothing.)

2.) Which system/software is the issue:
        a.) Stream from AS400?
        b.) tn5250?
        c.) Linux or more specifically "X"?

Last but not least I do have a Windows based emulator that works great.
It was written by a company named Idea Software out of Boston (I am sure
that they are now out of business.)  The name of the software is
"IdeaCom Midrange Client".  It was originally written for Win3.1 and I
have successfully installed it and used it on Win3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, and
2KPro.  This software emulates the 5292 Model 2 terminal utilizing
nothing but TCP/IP (no SNA) and will display the GDDM graphics quite
well.

I was hoping for a non-Windows based alternative.  I tried Wine under
linux and was unsuccessful in getting it to work.  I also have used it
in a VMWare virtual machine but was again hoping for a native linux
alternative avoiding the overhead of the virtual machine running
Windows.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, guidance, instructions, I sure
would appreciate hearing them.

Best regards,

Chuck Rudolphy