Users of tn5250 clients may be interested in a new freeware proxy
server for Windows that can be used between a tcp/ip client and
server. It can do various things, including display socket data (in
hex, EBCDIC, and Ascii), and authenticate/encrypt socket data between
2 proxies, giving a secure "tunnel" between the client and server. The
tunnel support is interesting because it adds security to any tn5250
(or tn3270) client, and you don't need to change the source code of
the tn5250. To set up the tunnel, you define 2 proxies between the
client and server: one at the client end of the tunnel (usually on the
same Windows machine as your tn5250 client), and one at the server end
of the tunnel (since the tn5250 server is probably running on an
AS/400 or similar, the server-end proxy would usually be set up on a
Windows machine on the same local network as the AS/400 - or nearby).
You also define a shared secret (password or pass phrase) and
username, used for authentication of each proxy to the other.

See the web page:

http://musicm.mcgill.ca/proxy/http/home.htm

There is also a new Yahoo discussion group: