Dear Alex,

The IBM i5 OS - OS/400 operating system has some
intelligence included in it regarding the maximum page
widths supported by most printers known to the system.

If you are using host print transform with lp5250d and
have specified that the paper size installed in the
input trays is A4 or LETTER, the system will generally
expect you to maintain a maximum page width of 13.2
inches for all spool files being sent to the target
printer.

Thus the following MPP's are supported when you
specify the CPI listed below in your printer file:

CPI Requested by Printer File         MPP (cols)
-----------------------------         ----------

          5                               066
          8.5                             112
         10                               132
         12                               158
         13                               172
         15                               198
         16.7                             220
         20                               255*

* The command for setting MPP when a CPI is specified
uses a hexadecimal based one byte counter so the
maximum supported value is 255. To support a line
length longer than 255 columns, you need to specify a
font by number in the printer file so that the system
sends a page size command (width and depth typically
specified in 1440'ths of an inch) rather than an MPP
value tied to a CPI setting.

So to overcome you current issue, you should specify a
CPI value of 15 CPI or greater (ex. 16.7 or 20) in
your printer file in order to print the 198 columns
via lpd5250.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

>date: Wed, 25 May 2005 15:18:41 +0200
>from: Alexandre PARISI
><alexandre.parisi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>subject: [LINUX5250] Page Size Problem lp5250d
>

>Hello !
>I am using lp5250d for printing from AS/400 for a
long >time without any problem.

>But.. when I send a file with this page size : Height
>66, Width 198 columns,  The AS400 returns me an error
>: "Page size not accepted"
>
>Exactely in french "La taille de page du fichier
n'est >pas acceptée sur l'unité"

>It works fine with 132 columns ..
>
>Here the log file :

<snip>