'make docs' is another make target I didn't know about. I never even knew there was html documentation for lib5250 until Scott told me the other day. When I run make docs it says there is no such target. 'make doc' says it is up to date:

james@orion:~/progs/tn5250-0.17.3> make docs
make: *** No rule to make target `docs'.  Stop.
james@orion:~/progs/tn5250-0.17.3> make doc
make: Nothing to be done for `doc'.

Here's what you need to do to build the docs and make the release:

a) You need to get a copy of the older Robodoc program. You'll find
   it online at:
     http://sourceforge.net/projects/robodoc/

   Click Files and then grab version 3.2.4.  (The code in Tn5250 is
   not compatible with version 4 of Robodoc)

   Then untar, make & install that copy of Robodoc.

b) If you haven't yet done so, build your copy of TN5250 with the
   following commands. (The docs require certain files generated by
   the make process to exist.)
   ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make

c) To build the docs,
     cd src/
     make docs

d) To make the release:
     cd ..  (assuming you were in the src directory)
     make dist

e) To test the release you just built:
     make distcheck

f) I usually get errors on a "make distcheck" because somewhere during the development cycle someone added or removed a file and didn't change the Makefile.am to include/remove that file from those set up to be distributed. Look at the EXTRA_DIST variable in the Makefile.am.

But I can't find any generated documentation anywhere. The docs directory doesn't have anything in it that wasn't already there. I don't have robodoc on my system - shouldn't make tell me that?

You have to be in the src subdirectory. Then type "make docs"

btw - could the website be changed to show the cvs commands for getting current cvs instead of the 16 branch?

It looks to me like Carey changed this already on May 2nd?

However, it would surprise me that you wouldn't have access to do this yourself? The Web page is stored in CVS, just like the code for the project.

a) Check out the "tn5250web" source code (instead of tn5250) from CVS.

b) Make your changes to the XML source. (The web site is HTML that's generated from this XML)

c) Commit the changes

d) To activate them, log on to SourceForge's shell server.
    ssh tn5250.sourceforge.net

e) Switch to the TN5250 project directory
    cd /home/groups/t/tn/tn5250

f) Run the "update-web" script to update the live web site from the code
    in CVS.