After playing for a while, I finally found out what was wrong. I tried both the
version 0.9.7f and 0.9.7g.

The only way I got it to work is when I tried with "c:\MinGW\bin" but NOT
"c:\msys\1.0\bin" in the PATH environment variable. I just didn't remember. I
don't know why but it fails if make.exe is in the path, even if an error is
output during the build, it must not be in the path.

The French text roughly means that the "make" command is unknown. Make.exe is
in msys directory and not in the path.
Why would it not work if a MSYS is in the path?

Here's the output:

-----------
C:\dev\VSS_HEN_UTILITIES\Deployment\openssl-0.9.7g>ms\mingw32

C:\dev\VSS_HEN_UTILITIES\Deployment\openssl-0.9.7g>perl Configure mingw

Configuring for mingw
IsWindows=0
CC            =gcc
CFLAG         =-DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_MINGW32 -DOPENSSL_THREADS  -DDSO_WIN32 -DOPENSS
L_NO_KRB5 -DL_ENDIAN -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -march=i486 -mno-cygwin -Wall -DSH
A1_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM
EX_LIBS       =-lwsock32 -lgdi32
BN_ASM        =asm/bn86-out.o asm/co86-out.o
DES_ENC       =asm/dx86-out.o asm/yx86-out.o
BF_ENC        =asm/bx86-out.o
CAST_ENC      =asm/cx86-out.o
RC4_ENC       =asm/rx86-out.o
RC5_ENC       =asm/r586-out.o
MD5_OBJ_ASM   =asm/mx86-out.o
SHA1_OBJ_ASM  =asm/sx86-out.o
RMD160_OBJ_ASM=asm/rm86-out.o
PROCESSOR     =
RANLIB        =\MinGW\bin/ranlib.exe
ARFLAGS       =
PERL          =perl
THIRTY_TWO_BIT mode
DES_PTR used
DES_RISC1 used
DES_UNROLL used
BN_LLONG mode
RC4_INDEX mode
RC4_CHUNK is undefined
'make' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
Generating x86 for GNU assember
Bignum
DES
crypt
Blowfish
CAST5
RC4
MD5
SHA1
RIPEMD160
RC5\32
Generating makefile
Generating DLL definition files
Building the libraries
Building OpenSSL
copy .\.\e_os.h tmp\e_os.h
        1 fichier(s) copié(s).
copy .\crypto\cryptlib.h tmp\cryptlib.h
        1 fichier(s) copié(s).
copy .\crypto\buildinf.h tmp\buildinf.h
        1 fichier(s) copié(s).
copy .\crypto\md32_common.h tmp\md32_common.h
        1 fichier(s) copié(s).
-----------
(...)
Everything from this point works ok.
-----------
Generating the DLLs and input libraries
Done compiling OpenSSL
-----------

When I add MSYS to the path, here's what it looks like:

-----------
C:\dev\VSS_HEN_UTILITIES\Deployment\openssl-0.9.7g>ms\mingw32

C:\dev\VSS_HEN_UTILITIES\Deployment\openssl-0.9.7g>perl Configure mingw

Configuring for mingw
IsWindows=0
CC            =gcc
CFLAG         =-DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_MINGW32 -DOPENSSL_THREADS  -DDSO_WIN32 -DOPENSS
L_NO_KRB5 -DL_ENDIAN -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -march=i486 -mno-cygwin -Wall -DSH
A1_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM
EX_LIBS       =-lwsock32 -lgdi32
BN_ASM        =asm/bn86-out.o asm/co86-out.o
DES_ENC       =asm/dx86-out.o asm/yx86-out.o
BF_ENC        =asm/bx86-out.o
CAST_ENC      =asm/cx86-out.o
RC4_ENC       =asm/rx86-out.o
RC5_ENC       =asm/r586-out.o
MD5_OBJ_ASM   =asm/mx86-out.o
SHA1_OBJ_ASM  =asm/sx86-out.o
RMD160_OBJ_ASM=asm/rm86-out.o
PROCESSOR     =
RANLIB        =true
ARFLAGS       =
PERL          =perl
THIRTY_TWO_BIT mode
DES_PTR used
DES_RISC1 used
DES_UNROLL used
BN_LLONG mode
RC4_INDEX mode
RC4_CHUNK is undefined
'pwd' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
e_os2.h => include/openssl/e_os2.h
making links in crypto...
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/dev/VSS_HEN_UTILITIES/Deployment/openssl-0.9.7g/
crypto'
'pwd' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
crypto.h => ../include/openssl/crypto.h
-----------
(...)
Lots of pwd errors but it goes on for some hundred lines.
-----------
Configured for mingw.
Generating x86 for GNU assember
Bignum
DES
crypt
Blowfish
CAST5
RC4
MD5
SHA1
RIPEMD160
RC5\32
Generating makefile
Generating DLL definition files
Building the libraries
Building OpenSSL
copy .\.\e_os.h tmp\e_os.h
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), copy .\.\e_os.h tmp\e_os.h, ...) failed.
make (e=2): Le fichier spÚcifiÚ est introuvable.
mingw32-make: *** [tmp\e_os.h] Error 2
C:\dev\VSS_HEN_UTILITIES\Deployment\openssl-0.9.7g>
-----------

First it didn't find pwd, after it doesn't find copy. Quite strange!

Just to be sure: (with msys in the path)

-----------
C:\dev\VSS_HEN_UTILITIES\Deployment\openssl-0.9.7g>mingw32-make --version
GNU Make 3.80
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

C:\dev\VSS_HEN_UTILITIES\Deployment\openssl-0.9.7g>make --version
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i686-pc-msys
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@xxxxxxx>.

C:\dev\VSS_HEN_UTILITIES\Deployment\openssl-0.9.7g>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\program files;C:
\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows;C:\Program Files\sysinternals\;C:\Per
l\bin\;;c:\MinGW\bin;c:\msys\1.0\bin

Marc-Antoine Ruel