So I changed the Makefile to use cp instead of copy and cat instead of type. Then I executed "make release" and I learnt that it uses an hardcoded path to reference OpenSSL: C:\openssl-0.9.7b\

If you can think of a better way (that doesn't use a hard-coded path) I'd be grateful for the help. Since I'm the only one (at least, so far) who has made a Win32 release, it was easy for me to simply hard-code the path in the Makefile (this only affects release building, and doesn't affect others who compile from source)

I manually executed the makefile directive and created a dummy windocs.pdf file (I don't have it on my computer) and executed innosetup:

Inno Setup 5 Command-Line Compiler
Copyright (C) 1997-2005 Jordan Russell. All rights reserved.
Portions by Martijn Laan

Compiler engine version: Inno Setup 5.0.8

Parsing [Setup] section, line 2
Parsing [Setup] section, line 3
Parsing [Setup] section, line 4
Parsing [Setup] section, line 5
Parsing [Setup] section, line 6
Parsing [Setup] section, line 7
Parsing [Setup] section, line 8
Parsing [Setup] section, line 9
Parsing [Setup] section, line 10
Parsing [Setup] section, line 11
Error on line 11 in C:\dev\VSS_HEN_UTILITIES\Deployment\tn5250\tn5250\win32\tn52
50_innosetup.iss: Unrecognized [Setup] section directive "AlwaysCreateUninstallIcon"
Compile aborted.

You appear to be running a much newer version of Inno Setup than the one that I have on my system. (I haven't updated mine since 2002!) Mine is version 2.0.19.

I bet they've changed the directives since then.

Furthermore, for some odd reason I couldn't manage to compile the newest openssl version. I have the 0.9.7f compiled with mingw (I already did this before!) and I want to update it with the new 0.9.7g. I have errors about not finding pwd (which I don't care) but it gives me no output. The mingw32-make -f ms/mingw32a.mak command fails instantly. I really don't remember what's the trick.

I just downloaded and tried version 0.9.7g. Mine fails with "mingw32-make not found". I went into the c:\mingw\bin directory and typed:

    copy make.exe mingw32-make.exe

Now I'm trying it again... so far it seems to be working, but it's not done compiling yet.

It's funny how the tn5250/win32 makefile uses standard windows commands and the openssl makefile uses standard linux shell command, but neither works on my machine. I must have incorrectly configured something...

I wonder if it's the name of the make program? I'm using the one that came with MinGW. It's probably an old version :) The make program that came with MinGW on my system was named "make.exe" but appearntly there's software that expects it to be named "mingw32-make.exe".

Is it possible that yours is called "mingw32-make.exe"? Maybe when you run "make" you're getting one from a Unix-like environment? That would explain why OpenSSL is finding a different one than Tn5250 is, since OpenSSL's ms\mingw32 command seems to use "mingw32-make.exe" by default.

Anyway, I'm working on building/testing the Windows version of TN5250 right now. If you like, I can just upload it to the site when it's working.