Ok, I'm back to this issue again. I think I am handling this SF correctly, but the iSeries is sending more data than I really want. When a new window is created the iSeries sends me the data for the new window plus the contents of the screen behind the window, even the parts of the screen that are covered by the new window! Of course the odd part is that this doesn't happen with every window, but is does with most. I have a 100% reproducible case where I get only the contents of the new window just like I want. But the majority of the time the iSeries sends me more than just the contents of the new window.

Can this behaviour be controlled with QUERY command?

There are a couple of odd things there. In session.c in tn5250_session_query_reply() we set temp[8] = 0x06 and temp[9] = 0x00. This seems wrong to me. According to http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/CO2E2001/15.27.2?DT=19950629163252#TBLQDAT this two bytes should be 0x00 and 0x43 respectively (identifies the controller as a 5495). Also, the code level response (the next three bytes) looks wrong as well. We send 0x010100 whereas the docs seem to suggest we should be sending 0x040310. What are the tn5250j people doing here?

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
        - billyskank on Groklaw