On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Scott Klement wrote:

However, 0.16.5 was released well over 2 years ago, and to the best of my
knowledge, you didn't start working on x5250 until this year?!  (can you
see why I'm confused?)

I see you are correct. My first x5250 proof of concept releases were in May of this year. 0.16.5 it is then :)

I have some ideas about how I want to approach key mapping.  I also am
working on a macro interface that should be nice.

The existing macro interface is lacking?

The record/playback and the way they are stored is great. What I was referring to is a pop up menu or window that lists the macros in .tn5250macros and allows them to be played back. The current way is perfect for users who know what their macros are, but if the user can't remember they can pop them up and play them back.

What users want is consistency.  If he runs the Windows version, the same
keys do the same thing as they do in the x5250 version.  The same config
parameters are available.  The same macro functionality that's invoked the
same way. and so on...

I wonder if users want consistency across platforms or consistency within a platform?

But perhaps more urgent is getting more 5250 features into lib5250.  I
need to work on my enhanced patch more.  Many of the things I want to do
with x5250 1.0 depend on lib5250 fully supporting all of the 5250
protocol.

I agree. Adding those features to lib5250 means also handlign them in cursesterm and winterm as well as x5250. And again, they should work consistently across all platforms.

Agreed. Though perhaps not all features will work for all terminal types. For example, scrollbars require a clickable area which cursesterm doesn't (and can't) have. But things like cursor progression should work across all terminals (and in fact does with my patch). If only there was a way to signal the iSeries that we support cursor progression but not scrollbars.

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
        - billyskank on Groklaw