On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Scott Klement wrote:

a) I still have problems with the location of the X5250 file.  The program
still looks for it in the wrong directory, and does not install it.  I
have to fix this manually each time.

I don't have an install rule for the X5250 resource file yet. I also need to create a ./configure option to instruct x5250 on where to look for it. I thought /etc/X11/app-defaults was standard. I appear to be mistaken :(

b) Although the flickering problem seems to have been solved, there now
appears to be a problem with the caret.  It does not seem to get erased
when you hit an AID generating key.

For example, in SEU type 'I' on the left to insert a new line, and hit
enter.  Then immediately hit enter again.  The previous caret is never
erased...

Yes, I noticed this problem soon after the release :( I stayed up most of the night trying to come up with an elegant solution. I didn't find one, but this morning I thought of something that should work. The problem is that after pressing an AID key x5250_terminal_update() is called repeatedly instead of only once. The caret is redrawn with every call, but is only erased after a key is pressed. So after pressing the AID key the caret does get erased, but then gets immediately redrawn by the call the x5250_terminal_update(). At the time of this redraw the caret position has not been updated yet so it is drawn in the same place we just erased it from. Later x5250_terminal_update() is called again this time with the correct position. But too late, we already drew it at least once incorrectly with no keystrokes in between.

So now it appears I need to track the last caret position myself and forcibly erase it with each call to x5250_terminal_update(). This will cause more drawing requests to be sent to the X server but I don't think it can be helped.

Look for a new release very soon...

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
        - billyskank on Groklaw