Martin-

The reason I can't use raw and change the printer settings is that the same
printer is also used by the SNA server in the service center. For various
reasons we must continue to use the SNA server facilities, but we can use
alternatives in case of emergency. I am looking for a solution that can be
quickly started by the staff producing the reports, without the need for
manual intervention at the printer. If someone forgets to restore the
printer settings appropriately for the SNA server queues, we print 1500
sheets of useless reports overnight, and by the time we reprint them, we
have missed all of our deadlines... again.

Under the old LPRng, it was possible to configure the CPI, LPI, and end of
line info to produce quality printouts. Under CUPS, even if I configure
cups for generic text printer, it insists on generating postscript, but
assumes that the printer has a postscript interpreter. The results are...
interesting, but illegible. If I configure for an Epson 9pin dot matrix,
and add the proper paper size to the ppd, it runs everything through
ghostscript and slowly prints out a beautiful report, but 10x slower than
generic text with nlq enabled.

What I would like to do is run the output through a filter to change the CR
end of lines to CR-LF, set CPI to 12 and LPI to 8 and dump to the printer
with no other changes. Nowhere in the CUPS documentation or maillists have
I been able to find this. Even google comes up with only laser printer
related issues. The CUPS documentation does mention you would need to
configure to run through a filter. But leaves the rest up to your
imagination...

If I configure env.IBMMFRTYPMDL=IBM6400,  the as/400 assumes that I am
printing at 10cpi and 6lpi for the reports and statements - draft quality.
Messing with the form type on the as/400 is not an option, as this will
mess up the SNA server printing. Tried that and cried. Suggestions for
modifying host print transform for the ibm6400 would be interesting to
consider.

Thanks

Elmars Ositis

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s).
Unauthorised distribution, modification or disclosure of the contents may
be unlawful. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and
delete it from your system. Views expressed herein do not necessarily
reflect those of HypoVereinsbank, its subsidiaries or affiliates.
This is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of
any financial instrument, or as an official confirmation of any transaction,
unless specifically agreed otherwise. All market prices, data and other
information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are
subject to change without notice.

HypoVereinsbank is regulated by FSA for the conduct of designated
investment business in the UK