Hi James,

> Backtab used to work fine in Red Hat 9 but I only get the "[Z"
> characters in Fedora Core 1 which leads me to believe this control
> character is no longer recognized.
>
> How do I determine the correct control code to use for backtab?

I'm assumimg by your reference to the XTerm file that you're doing this
for xt5250.

1) Open a normal xterm and set your terminal type to xterm-5250.  Type
    "export TERM=xterm-5250" for sh & bash style shells or
    "setenv TERM xterm-5250" for csh or tcsh style shells.

2) Go into vi, hit i for insert, then Ctrl-V to tell VI that you want to
    see the control characters of the next key you press.

3) Press your backtab key.  The control characters should display on the
    the screen with escape being represented as ^[

4) Change the XTerm file to match what vi showed.  In my terminal, it
    shows ^]Z (which would be \033Z in XTerm)

HTH...