> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Jack J. Woehr wrote:
>
> > Success building and running tn5250 on Solaris 9.
> >
> > First I rebuilt ncurses but still no luck.
> >
> > Then I rebuilt ncurses configuring --with-shared and then tn5250 linked.
> >
> > Incidentally, since the ncurses headers end up in
> > /usr/local/lib/ncurses I added that to CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH and
> > C_INCLUDE_PATH and config was happier.
>
> Could you do me a favor and post all the steps you took exactly as you
> entered them?  This way I can add a system-specific section for Solaris to
> the HOWTO.  For example, list the steps like this:
>
> 1.  tar -xvjf tn5250-release.tar.bz2
> 2.  download ncurses from ftp://ftp.wherever.com
> 3.  tar -xvzf ncurses.tar.gz
> 4.  ./configure --with-whatever-options

SOLARIS 9
---------
1. Obtain and unpack tn5250 --- I used anonymous CVS
2. Get ncurses (e.g., ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ncurses/ncurses-5.3.tar.gz)
3. tar -xvzf ncurses-5.3.tar.gz
4. cd ncurses-5.3
5. ./configure --with-shared
6. make
7. sudo make install
8. Get OpenSSL (e.g., http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-0.9.7c.tar.gz)
9. tar zxvf openssl-0.9.7c.tar.gz
10. cd openssl-0.9.7c
11. ./configure
12. make
13. sudo make install (should install in /usr/local/ssl)
14.
C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/ssl/include:/usr/local/include/ncurses:$C_INCLUDE_PATH;
 export C_INCLUDE_PATH
15.
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/ssl/include:/usr/local/include/ncurses:$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH;
 export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH
16. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ssl/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
17. cd tn5250 (wherever you unpacked the source)
18. ./configure
19. If configure has trouble finding OpenSSL, try ./configure
--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl
20. If configure still has trouble finding OpenSSL headers, try this:
        20a. cd /usr/local/ssl/include
        20b. for i in openssl/*; do; sudo ln -s $i; done
        20c. cd (wherever you unpacked the tn5250 source) && ./configure
21. make
22. sudo make install
23. /usr/dt/bin/dtterm -geometry 132x27 -sb -sl 500 -bg black -fg lightgrey
-title 'TN5250 Works!' -e tn5250 env.TERM=IBM-3477-FC some.os400.host.com &

I'm not sure all these steps are strictly necessary. tn5250 configure
*may* be able to find ncurses without the help, also the ssl headers
without *all* the help I've shown. I didn't do this all in the order
shown. But if I have not typo'ed above, it's pretty much certain that
those steps will lead to a successful build and launch.

May I make one recommendation? When a hostname passed on the
commandline is invalid or resolution fails, tn5250 should say "Host
not found" rather than "invalid argument".

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # Ceterum censeo
Box 51, Golden, CO 80402      # in herbas belli