dear mailinglist!

we are using the tn5250 as an alternative way to connect
to an as/400 system of one of our clients.
this client wants to have a special keymapping - which follows
the keymapping he's using on his other terminal-emulators.

i've read all documentation i was able to find about keymappings
in tn5250, unfortunately i was unable to figure out, what to do...
i don't have a really large idea about keymaps in linux which
probably doesn't make the problem easier to solve for me... :-)

first of all, i've figured out, that there are various ways to change
tn5250's keymap - the most often suggested is to change the
user's xkeybordmap. is this the right way? and when changing
it, doesn't this have drawbacks on the behaviour of x itself which
can be problematic?

the mappings we should have (among others...):

esc                             sys attn
shift-esc                       sys req
ctrl-f5                 record
ctrl-f6                 play
ctrl-f7                 rpause*

pause                   clear*
shift-ins                       dup*

left-ctrl                       reset/ctrl*
left-ctrl-alt                   quit

right-ctrl                      enter

enter                           field exit
shift-enter                     newline
ctrl-enter                      carrier return

those marked with a *: i'm not quite sure, if they're special functions
provided by the windows-terminal-emulator.

my questions are:
- - is there any step-by-step howto of creating keymaps?
- - is there maybe a software/helper-utility used for this?
  i played shortly with "xkeycaps" which didn't help a lot...

- - is there a table with the scancodes/escape-sequences
  which are special for the 5250-terminal? (like sys attn)
  i looked in quite a few EBCDIC-conversion-tables and didn't
  find anything usefull.

- - can - maybe - someone send me his keymap as an example -
  if possible a version which uses those special characters

- - it's also possible that i didn't understand anything right and
  that i'm completly wrong.

help would be very much appreciated and deserves a lot of
thanks in advance :-)

i wish you a good week,

Pascal Mainini