> Currently, in console mode, I can copy/paste between different sessions.
 Yes, it's possible using gpm, but it can't work as we expect  - see note
below

> However, I don't understand what you mean about writing it to a file in
> your home directory.   How does writing it to a file help you?   Right
> now, I can copy/paste between different sessions without copying it to a
> file?   Are you worried about the data being lost if the system should go
> down unexpectedly?

I need the file to implement internal tn5250 clipboard - pasting from
this clipboard will not go through standard input parsing, but directly to
display object.
Xterm's and gpm's clipboards will not work - you explain below why.

> I didn't do them in the Curses version of TN5250 because I couldn't figure
> out how to handle a "paste" properly.    You see, when doing a paste, when
> you encounter a LF in the clipboard data that you're pasting, you need to
> the "Enter/RecordAdvance" AID code to the AS/400.
>
> The problem is, the paste is read into your program the same way that
> keyboard data is read in.  Therefore, you can't tell the difference
> between the LF char in "paste" data, and the user pressing Enter.

My workaround is briefly explained above. The copy/paste code is currently
working,
but I have to make some changes to meet your and James' requirements about
key and
mouse conventions. I will post it in two/three days.

Best regards

Marek Bajon