On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 Phillip.Watts@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So I login on 6 and type
> openvt -f -c 2 tn5250 MYSESS2
>
> I put the same line in .xinitrc and I get connection refused.
> It would take a while to explain why I want to do it it in .xinitrc.
> Any idea why that does not work?

Does it say "Could not start session: connection refused" or does it just
say connection refused?   If the message is coming from TN5250, it should
prefix it with the "Could not start session" phrase.

Perhaps it thinks you're looking for a host called "MYSESS2" instead of
a profile called "MYSESS2."   Profile names *are* case sensitive, so make
sure you're typing it exactly the same as the one in your tn5250rc file.

> I can openvt other things from .xinitrc and they work ok.
> I have copied .tn5250 to /etc ??  no good.
> I have HOME=/root  in .xinitrc.   no good.

I doubt changing the contents of the HOME variable would have any affect
at all on TN5250.  (TN5250 uses getpw(3) to determine your home directory)

> I have copied .tn5250 to /etc ??  no good.

If you think the problem is that it can't find your home directory, you
might try putting your profile /usr/local/etc/tn5250rc (or, /etc/tn5250rc
if you installed from an RPM) and see if that helps...

However, calling it ".tn5250" will certainly not work :)  It needs to be
.tn5250rc if it's in your home directory, or just tn5250rc if it's in the
$PREFIX/etc directory.

> Does connection refused mean tn5250 is running but there is a network
> problem?

If the message is coming from tn5250, it means that tn5250 tried to
connect, but got a "connection refused" response from the server.   So,
the network is working, but the host you're connecting to is not listening
for connections on that port.

That's why I think it's trying to connect to a host called "MYSESS2"
instead of trying to connect to a host called "as400.example.com"

Hope that helps...