Islam, Towhid wrote:
Thank you for your excellent TN5250 HowTo document that was a life saver for me. Owing to my limited knowledge of freebsd, I am unable to resolve several problems that I have encountered. I am hoping that you may have the answers.

If I don't then the tn5250 mailing list probably will (which I'm cc'ing). Subscribing to the tn5250 mailing list is easy. Go to:

(Note to self: the mailing list isn't mentioned on the HOWTO. I should remedy that along with a few other mistakes I've found. Anyone else know something that is missing from the HOWTO?)

1) Once I launch the tn5250 application, and it connects to our as400, how to I exit from the [tn5250] application and get a normal console prompt? I only way I have been able to exit is by pressing the Print Screen/SysRq key, which simply generates a new tty session, and I have to login all over again.

Press Control-q

2) On our as400 system, they use function keys beyond F10. For example, for a particular application on the as400, F12 is exit. How do I define F12 as exit? What I found is that if an invalid key [function key] is pressed, the tn5250 session hangs.

Are you running tn5250 from the console? If so, I think you need to use the loadkeys command to set up the keymap correctly. Before running tn5250 type 'loadkeys us5250.map'. If you are using the xt5250 script to start tn5250 in X, then all the function keys should be set up correctly for you already.

3) Finally, how do I define some global parameters? In your documentation you refer to the system-wide configuration file being $PREFIX/etc/tn5250rc. However, I am unable to find any subdirectory named $PREFIX, either by itself or within /etc. Is it something I missed during compilation? Do I need to re-compile?

$PREFIX is the installation prefix given when you ran ./configure in the tn5250 main directory before compiling. This defaults to /usr/local. So if you didn't give a --prefix argument to ./configure, the global parameters would be stored in /usr/local/etc. This can be further overridden using the --sysconfdir argument to ./configure. For example, I usually run configure like this:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib/tn5250

(that should be all one line but is broken into two by the mailer) This puts the program, libraries, man pages, and shared program data under /usr, config files in /etc, and state stuff (which tn5250 doesn't have any of) in /var/lib/tn5250.

James Rich