-----Mensagem original-----
De: Projet GPAO [mailto:projet-gpao@xxxxxxxxx]
Enviada: sexta-feira, 11 de Julho de 2003 16:02
Para: linux5250@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Assunto: [LINUX5250] Diskless worstations and keymapping problem

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to thank the people involved in the tn5250
project. I'm
working with tn5250 0.16.5 under Mandrake 9.1 since a few months and I
have
to say that it is a great soft.

I chose a mini Linux distribution called Trinux
(http://trinux.sourceforge.net/) to turn old PC into tn5250 diskless
workstations.

To sum up, Trinux boots from a single floppy then loads packages from
web.
When Trinux is launched, it gets an IP address thanks to DHCP, and loads

additional packages (such as ssh) via ftp. Then Trinux is automatically
connected to a ssh server under Mandrake (my own workstation) to be able
use tn5250 installed on the Mandrake. With a single floppy, any PC in
the
shop can be automatically turned into a tn5250 station. I think it's a
good
way to use old Pentium75 with a floppy and 16mo.

So, what's the problem? The problem is that I really have to get a key
map as
close as possible to the Client Access soft. That is to say F13 to F24
with
shift F9 to shift F12, ESC as "attention" (Control_a), Left control key
as
Contol_x and so on.

If xt5250 is launched on my Mandrake, no problem. If it's in a real
console, I
do not have access to the F21 to F24 keys and "attention" is C-a. So I
modified my keyboard layout (keycode 1 = Control_a Escape instead of
keycode
1 = Escape Escape and string F24 = "\033+" instead of string F24 =
"\033[38~") and I load it with loadkeys. Then it's ok, but remmeber,
we're
here still on Mandrake.

The real problem is with the trinux diskless workstations. I create a
binary
keymap file with my customized key map thanks to the dumpkmap (a tool
included in busybox that's used in a lot of tiny distros such as Trinux)
and
load it with loadkmap. Then, guess what, ESC is "attention", no problem,
but
F21 to F24 are still unusable with shift F9/F12 even if they are usable
with
"ESC(" "ESC)" "ESC_" and "ESC+". To me it's no big deal but the boss
said "we
can't go with your proposal if you can't manage to get a client
access-like
keymap". So, I go "no problem, I'll figure it out".

Finally, it may be useful to know that I'm using a French "azerty"
keyboard.
If someone can help me, please let me know. I think I'm going to lose
patience ;)

Cheers,

Mathieu