On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, James Rich wrote:

> Is there any reason why we don't use the standard GNU style options with
> tn5250?

This has been hashed and rehashed on the list several times before, check
the archives.

I know when we switched from the "getopt" style switches to the new config
system, I was rather vocal about how much less I liked the new system, but
in the end Jason Felice converted me to his way of thinking.

> Searching through the archives I don't find any particularly
> strong reasons not to.  The reason I ask is because I always forget that
> to see the version you use -version instead of -V or --version.  I'll code
> it myself if no one has any objections.

I don't know what you're proposing here... are you going to change all of
the tn5250 options to GNU-style?   Or are you just going to add 1 line of
code to make --version the same as -version?

How does this work with the configuration files?  Right now, we have the
same abilities at the commadn line that we have with the config files,
they're exactly the same.   Are you going to preserve that?   will I have
to change all of the config files for all of my existing setups?

Are you going to have separate sets of documentation to detail version
0.16.5 and below vs. 0.16.6 and above?