George,

xt5250/tn5250 is a "plain-text application" not a graphical application.
It does not know about X, and it does not use any graphical capabilities
of X, because it's intended to run on a text-only display or even from a
telnet/ssh session.

When you run xt5250, you open an xterm which handles the "adapting" of the
tn5250 software in a window under X11.  We send escape codes to the xterm
to tell it which font to use, but we do not have control over graphical
operations like doubling sizes or resizing bitmaps, as the actual font
displaying is handled by the xterm.

The gnome-5250 sub-project could be made capable of font-stretching,
but right now we're sorely lacking developers, and I don't think anyone
is doing any work on it.  But, gnome-5250 is an actual graphical
application using the GTK+ API.

Likewise, the Windows version is a true graphical app, and could be made
capable of doing that type of "screen stretching".   But, that would
require MS Windows, and again, we're sorely lacking in developers on
this project.

The easiest solution would probably be to find a more suitable font.  Is
there some requirement that you must use adobe-times?