From: MarkB@xxxxxxxxxx
To: Linux 5250 Development Project <linux5250@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LINUX5250] incorrect cursor position
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:57:01 -0400

If you do a search of the archives you'll be sure to see that cursor positioning is (surprisingly) not a trivial matter. http://search.midrange.com/htsearch.cgi?config=archive&restrict =%2Flinux5250&exclude =&format=bultin-long&method=and&sort=score&words=cursor

I've brought up this topic on this forum before as I've noticed
inconsistencies as well. (I happen to be writing a from-scratch, Java 5250
library and have been looking to tn5250's cursor logic to solve my own
cursor problems.)
I figured if I can help/inspire/provoke someone else to get it done,
there's a greater chance I can get it working as well.

Just to let anyone know:
I'm at the stage with my emulator that the only thing not working is cursor
positioning (similarly, in rare cases). I do have other things on the go
and cursor positioning is not a high priority, but if I _ever_ figure this
one out, I'll be sure to let you all know how it's done. (Cursor
positioning has become a personal crusade for me).

A GUESS: I don't have the tn5250 code in front of me right now but: In your particular case (since your file is redisplayed) might it be the case that a SaveScreen/RestoreScreen sequence is happening? If so, I've noticed in documentation http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/CO2E2001/CCONTENTS that ReadScreen SaveScreen commands are not supposed to save cursor positioning data, but *as I understand* tn5250's implementation is to send and re-interpret a previous WTD command which can affect cursor positioning. This *may* be the source of some trouble in this situation or others but I'm not 100% sure. Just out of curiosity I'd be interested in seeing the trace if you could send me a zipped version.

Finally,
I sincerely wish the best of luck to anyone attempting to tackle cursor
placement issues.
My experiences have been that it's just not easy.
If anyone wants to "talk shop" on cursor placement, I'd be happy to oblige.

-Mark
email:
markb
cms400
com

Sean Porterfield
<sporter@xxxxxxxxxx To: linux5250@xxxxxxxxxxxx
om> cc:
Sent by: Subject: [LINUX5250] incorrect cursor position
linux5250-bounces@x
idrange.com

19/05/2003 12:00 PM Please respond to Linux 5250 Development Project

We have a display file that has one input capable field. Keying an option in the field runs a program. After that program exits, the display file is redisplayed.

Most of the display files like this work fine.  This one and a few
others are leaving the cursor in the wrong position.

Field starts at position 7.  Key a 1 in the field (to run option 1)
cursor naturally moves to position 8.  Press enter to execute the
program, return, cursor is in position 8 but the 1 that was keyed is gone.

That field is not cleared in the program, so it must be DDS taking the
"1" out.

Keywords in the DDS: PUTOVR, ERASEINP, OVERLAY.

Behavior in Client Access is as expected; cursor returns to position 7
every time.

I created a trace file, but it doesn't mean much to me.

I also noticed that the cursor will return to any position on the screen
when it is displayed again.  It's not particular to the field.