Looking at the source I don't see a call to that function. Should
there be one? I won't claim to know anything, but if StartDocPrinter
isn't needed, any ideas why I get this error?

No, I have no idea why you get that error. It works nicely on my system, obviously... I've run it at home, where I have a Win XP Pro machine with a Canon BJC620 printer, and at work where I've got a WinXP Pro with an HP LaserJet 4L, and also other various HP Lasers on the LAN. Works with all of them.

Is this a difference between XP and earlier Windows?

Or, maybe there's a variable somewhere that I'm not initializing that's
causing the device handle that's returned from the PrintDlg function to
have problems sporadically?

I wonder if there's any way I can reproduce this problem, so I can
research it further?

I tried it on a windows 98SE machine and it looks like tn5250 worked (one printer said it didn't support StretchBlt and the other ate the job. I'm asuming for now these are both samba+cups problems).

I went to a few production WinXPpro machines and tn5250 worked. Both printers printed fine (even though the 98 machine didn't as described above) and the print out looks good. There must be something screwing on my WinXPpro machine. It is my testbed, so it has software three ways to sunday installed on it; although it runs fine. Wierd. Considering tn5250 works on the production machines I'll pass it out to a few users and get some heavy use on it.

Thanks. You would have enjoyed the way one of my user's eyes lit up when I gave this to her :-)

--
Steven Kurylo