On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Robert E Terry wrote:

> I am looking for guides regarding implementation of a Linux desktop
> for production users. The 5250 is the primary application used by users
> followed closely by Lotus Notes. Then there are the office applications.

There are certainly guides out there that may be of valuable help.
Specifically the city of Fargo, Florida has documented their use of linux
on the desktop.  One of the things they mention is that they moved their
users to linux in groups, so maybe 10 desktops at a time.

Others on this list only use tn5250 and no other applications in place of
dump terminals.  They could tell you how they how implemented things.

Perhaps the most robust and inexpensive solution is to use a linux server
and X terminals (such as from NCD).  These have no operating systems to
speak of and no hard disks to fail, so very little goes wrong (like you
may have to replace a CRT or keyboard now and then).  But you have a
complete GUI setup with access to all the applications on the server,
including tn5250, openoffice, mozilla, etc.

Perhaps if you can share more details of what you want to do we can come
up with a more specific plan.

> Having followed this list for several months, I am thinking that this is
> not the proper forum for my interests (no development here) But I
> thought I would ask.

Maybe the linux101 list would be better - but this isn't really linux 101,
more like linux 341...

James Rich