Paul,
Thanks for the response, it got me looking in the right direction.  We may
have found a work-around by
changing the printer type from *OKI321IBM to *IBM42011.
The lp5250d command now becomes:
        lp5250d env.DEVNAME=P6 env.IBMTYPMDL='*IBM52011' 10.99.99.1

and the results are as expected.  I'm hopeful that this will work because
otherwise we will need to figure out how
to install the WCO on over 1000 boxes :(.

Thanks again for the help!

Ryan