After a bit of research I believe that xterm can't change font
on-the-fly when invoked with -fa '[something freetype]'. You can try
defining XTerm*VT100*fontX='[something freetype]' in ~/.Xresources, when
changing font via the font menu (ctrl+rclick) nothing happens.
Btw the DECCOLM escape seq works, since xterm goes in 132 mode (w/o
changing font btw :-/).
If a nice develepor with some free-time wants to implement a gtk2-5250
using VTE libs, we could have aa fonts and other cool features :-)