I'm not familiar with an "execute" key (I've never seen a keyboard with
an execute key) is that something that Chinese keyboards have, but US
keyboards do not?

The key sequence that I use to sign in, not only in TN5250,  but also in
RUMBA, Client Access and an actual 5250 terminal is:

UserName<TAB>Password<ENTER>

Where <TAB> is the "tab" key, and <ENTER> is the "enter" key.

It sounds like the keyboard you're used to maps the "enter" key to
act as a "Field Exit" key.  And the "right-ctrl" key is mapped to
act as an "enter" key.

I find that keyboard setup to be counter-intuitive, since all of your
other Linux apps will use the "enter" key for "enter", rather than for
field-exit.

I strongly discourage you from changing this in console mode because the
console-mode keyboard map will affect ALL Linux screens, not just TN5250.
In fact, I wouldn't use console mode unless you have to -- keyboard
mapping is not easy in console mode.

However, if you want the right-control key to be enter in xt5250, and
you want the enter key to be field exit, you can change it by editing
/usr/local/share/tn5250/XTerm   (or /usr/share/tn5250, or wherever it is
on your system) and adding these lines:

        <Key>Control_R: string("\012") \n\
        <Key>Return: string("\013") \n\

Which tells the xterm to re-map the "Control_R" (right-control) key to
send octal 12 (enter) and Return key to send octal 13 (Ctrl-K which is
Field Exit)

Good luck!