I can replicate the problem using this (openssl-0.9.6d) :

[root@localhost src]# openssl s_client -connect example.com:50855
-cipher RC4-MD5 -showcerts
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=0 /C=US/O=FOO/CN=example
verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 /C=US/O=FOO/CN=example
verify return:1
1439:error:1408F071:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:bad mac
decode:s3_pkt.c:383:
[root@localhost src]#

Yet,  I can establish an SSL connection using this method:

[root@localhost src]# openssl s_client -connect example.com:50855 -ssl3
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=0 /C=US/O=FOO/CN=example
verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 /C=US/O=FOO/CN=example
verify return:1
---
Certificate chain
 0 s:/C=US/O=FOO/CN=example
   i:/C=US/O=FOO/CN=example
---
Server certificate
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----
subject=/C=US/O=FOO/CN=example
issuer=/C=US/O=FOO/CN=example
---
No client certificate CA names sent
---
---
New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is RC4-MD5
Server public key is 1024 bit
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : SSLv3
    Cipher    : RC4-MD5
    Session-ID:
DF657A7A1EF7B0A002CED7D431AA13E0E6733D48A19412F7D081DBB66CD5291F
    Session-ID-ctx:
    Master-Key:
B385A01C35CFAEEC8BCB2A1BB427DDF65651045A5A348A1FD2BC672C2A471257
80674B2F4E4C9BD45BF01684F4E2D1C2
    Key-Arg   : None
    Start Time: 1022278226
    Timeout   : 7200 (sec)
    Verify return code: 18 (self signed certificate)
---

Then I am inside the connection stream...
Looking at the above, one would think that if I use -cipher RC4-MD5 option
to openssl instead of -ssl3, it might work. It does not.  Next step is
wandering through openssl source to identify the problem.

If anyone has any thoughts about this, its greatly appreciated.

-brian