On Tue, 14 May 2002, Anthony Fok wrote:

> I would like to try my hands on adding DBCS support in Linux TN5250. If
> I understand correctly, in the TN5250 protocol, all code conversion are
> done on the client side, so that the server will only see EBCDIC and
> DBCS (with shift-out and shift-in codes), is that right?

Yes.

> If so, is it true that we should add some code conversion tables in
> Linux TN5250?  (Say, for Big5 <-> Traditional Chinese DBCS.)
> If so, what is the exact name (or codepage number?) of the IBM AS/400
> Traditional Chinese DBCS?  I took a brief look at the TN5250
> specifications and the IBM ICU site, but at a first glance, I'm not
> sure which conversion table to use.  :-)

I can't help you there.. I don't know anything about Chinese character
sets.

This is a good place to start, however:
    http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/resources.html

There's a few links to info about character sets.

It's not a simple matter of adding a map, either, since the code in tn5250
is currently ignoring the shift-in and shift-out characters completely.
There will be changes needed to the actual character handling code.

If you can get it to work, that'd be a great contribution.  Thanks!