Doh!  It was the typo.  Once I changed that it started fine.  Thank you!

Scott Klement <klemscot@klements.com>
Sent by: linux5250-admin@midrange.com
05/13/2002 03:37 PM
Please respond to linux5250

        To:     linux5250@midrange.com
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [LINUX5250] Trouble with LP5250D

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Aaron Burton wrote:

> I'm not having much luck with the LP5250D part.  When try to start the
> session it gives me a "socket closed by host" message then quits.  The
> result of this is the device gets varied off.  Below is a listing of
> config for this session and the trace file.

For whatever reason, your AS/400 is disconnecting the lp5250d while
it's trying to work...

Is your AS/400 allowing printer sessions over the TN5250e interface?   Is
anything showing up in QSYSOPR or in a job log in the spool?  They might
shed some light on this.

Does your AS/400 allow auto-creation of virtual devices?  (i.e. is the
QAUTOVRT system value set to a high enough number?)   If not, are you
manually creating a device description, and does it match?

Your tracefile contains this line:
   >         <VAR>IMBMSGQLIB

This means that you have an "env.IMBMSGQLIB" set in your config file.
Oh yeah, you attached that too... good... yep, I'm right :)
That's obviously a typo, it should be "IBM" not "IMB".  That could be part
of the problem.  Worth a try.

> I can get display sessions to start fine.  Any ideas?  Also, I noticed
> that the documentation which came with the windows installer didn't
> mention anything about scs2acii or scs2pdf, but I have seen reference to
> in this the mailing list.  How do I use those?

The current Windows implementation does the same thing as scs2ascii.  So,
it's just scs2ps and scs2pdf that are missing.

You can't currently use those under Windows.  The way Windows handles
printing is very different from the way Unix does it, so those will need
to be changed somewhat to make them work in Windows.   We simply haven't
had time to do it.

         ^^^  <-------------- should be IBM
> }

aside from that typo, this setup works on my system.

Good Luck!