James,

as I know almost nothing about AS/400 programming I thought of another way of
doing it:

1) Modify scs2pdf or scs2ps - whatever you prefer - that way, that it sends
any transparent data to stderr (transparent makes not much sense in PDF / PS,
I think [if you need it, you can still add some other magic to hide your data
from beeing written to report])
2) Get your AS/400 to put FAX-number and/or Mail-Adress wirtten transparent
in the front of the spool-file, doing something like
MAIL: myemail@domain.de
FAX: 00495551234
3) Format outputcommand that way, that it saves the PDF and the stuff from
stderr:
outputcommand='scs2ps 1>/tmp/ps.data.$$ 2>/tmp/err.data.$$'
4) It should now be easy to gernerate a cronjob, that checks for new files
and greps MAIL and FAX from the error-output.

Max Laier
mailto:max.laier@vincentius-ka.de