Scott, et al.

In your response to me, you proposed three solutions:

>So, there are potentially three solutions to the problem:
>
>    1)  Instruct your AS/400 to send the correct settings by changing
>           the appropriate print files to the correct settings.
>
>           example:
>                  CHGPRTF FILE(QSYSPRT) CPI(10) LPI(6)
>
>     2)  Create a custom host print transform for this printer which
>           discards the LPI and CPI settings.
>
>           For more information, see Chapter 10 of the Workstation
>           Customization manual:
>
>      http://publib.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/DOCNUM/SC41-5605-00
>
>     3)  Turn host print transform off.  (i.e. do not set the
>           env.IBMMFRTYPMDL variable) and then send the printer escape
>           sequences the Unix way.  (for example, by defining an
>           input filter in your /etc/printcap file)

Due to security restrictions on the AS/400, I do not have sufficient access to
implement options 1 or 2. Option 3 does not work properly as the column spacing
is thrown out of sync.

Today I tried some alternate methods...

1 - dump the printstream to a text file using outputcommand='scs2ascii >
/tmp/testfile.txt'

The output in the testfile had incorrect column spacing. when I did the same
with the mfrtypmdl setting, the column spacing was correct but control codes
were thrown into various places in the text.

2 - use scs2ps > /tmp/testfile.ps

the result of this was a properly spaced ps file which I could print to a laser
printer or view with ghostscript. I did not need to enable any mfrtypmdl for
this to work properly. Unfortunately I can't use this as I cannot print this to
the line printer, and laserprinting a few thousand pages per day is just a
little short of expensive, and difficult to manage large groups of reports for
storage. I tried printing the ps file to the line printer, producing somewhat
nice results, but at 30 seconds per page on a 1200 line per minute printer...
see above.

Does anyone have an idea where in the scs2ascii code I could find the error? or
has anyone run accross this before and patched it?

sincerely

Elmars Ositis

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s).
Unauthorised distribution, modification or disclosure of the contents may
be unlawful. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and
delete it from your system. Views expressed herein do not necessarily
reflect those of HypoVereinsbank, its subsidiaries or affiliates.
This is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of
any financial instrument, or as an official confirmation of any transaction,
unless specifically agreed otherwise. All market prices, data and other
information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are
subject to change without notice.
HypoVereinsbank is regulated by FSA for the conduct of designated
investment business in the UK