On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Alstom Engineering Office wrote:

> Thank you for your help so fan, but I just can seem to get it working!
>
> I think the problem is that I'm using tn5250, in stead of xt5250.

That would explain it.

> I using verion 0.16.3 on Linux Mandrake 8.1 with KDE.
>
> I created a program shortcut on the desktop with the following options:
>       Command: /usr/local/bin/xt5250
>       Run in Terminal
>               Terminal Options: gec400
>
> gec400 is defined in the hosts file as 198.25.23.3

I'm not familiar with KDE, but I have a feeling that "Terminal Options"
might not be something that gets passed to the xt5250 script.

If you just launch an xterm from KDE and type (in the xterm):
         xt5250 gec400

Does it work?

> It does not connect at all.

When you say "does not connect", what does that mean, exactly?  Does it
give you an error?   Does it just hang there?   Does a window appear, and
then quickly go away?

All xt5250 does is open a new xterm window, load the keyboard map into
that new window, and run the tn5250 program.   The tn5250 program
is what makes the connection in both cases -- so I don't think this is
a "connect" problem.

If the window is appearing and then quickly disappearing it probably
can't find the "xterm-5250" terminal type.  (At least, that's been the
most common reason that this happens)

If the window is hanging there for awhile, then the problem is probably
in tn5250 itself.   See if you can get it to create a trace file, and then
privately e-mail me the trace file and I'll see if I can see the problem.

> I tried to use:
>       Command: /usr/local/bin/xt5250 198.25.23.3
>
> but it still does not connect.
>
> If I use tn5250, it works.

All this means is that your system's resolver is working. :)