On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Egan, Matt B. (Artco) wrote:

> Also when I use the option font_132=anyfont it doesn't change the font (why
> is that and what the heck is font_132 and 80) (keep in mind I'm a network
> support guy.)

There are two different display modes supported by our 5250 emulator.
They are 80x24 and 132x27.  If you're using an appropriate terminal type,
and the AS/400 wants to display something in 132 col mode, the emulator
will display the font_132 font.   When in normal 80 col mode, it uses the
font_80 font.

If you want to try this, make a configuration like this:

dsp01 {
   host = as400.example.com
   font_80=xxx
   font_132=yyy
   env.DEVNAME=DSP01
# the following is a 132 col capable terminal:
   env.TERM=IBM-3477-FC
}

Then:   tn5250 dsp01

When the display comes up, it's in 80 col mode.   Sign-On and do a STRSEU
and use F13 to change to 132 col mode.   Or display a spooled file that
wouldn't fit across an 80-col screen...

> I played with the beepfile thing and that's pretty cool ||Two thumbs up||

Heh... I only did that because it was easy to do :)   Glad you like it,
though...

> I wish I could offer help for this but I'm not much help.

You've already been a great help!   The kind of help that I really need is
testers who will tell me what they think.  You're doing that job :)

> Also once I've compiled this on my machine is there any reason (keep in mind
> the network support thing) I can't just grab the .exe and .dll and move it
> to a different machine?

Just copying them to another machine should work fine.   In fact, I
deliberately did not use any registry entries or install anything into
/windows/system for this reason.

Only things to keep in mind are:

    1) When the .exe starts up, it looks for the DLL.  First it looks in
         the "current working directory", (or "start in" directory, if
         you're using a Windows shortcut) and if that fails, it searches
         your path.  If it can't find it, it won't work :)

    2) Currently, if you do an OpenSSL build, libcrypto & libssl are
         statically compiled into lib5250.dll.  So, if you are moving
         the dll to a computer in another country, make sure you're aware
         of any legal issues relating to cryptography.  (but this is only
         an issue if you compiled it with OpenSSL)