Hoi Martin

I signed your guestbook and downloaded DBG400. ou responded with another
email.

About OSS for iSeries, I have a few suggestions.

1. Using os/400 commands combined with *OUTFILE or API's to gather data ??

The easiest way to gather information is using os/400 commands with parameter
*OUTFILE. But on the other hand when one uses these "*OUTFILE" files in a
program, especially when internally descibed, one encounters problems when
switching to a new release for there is a good chance the record-length and
record-layout has changed.
The guide-line I use is:
When there are API available, use API's. Allthough the use of API's increases
the development time but decreases the maintenance time, because API are less
sensitive to release-updates.  Another advantage of API: they are fast.
As far as I know, using API's is a way to work around the need of licensed
programs.

2. A tool is only usefull when accompanied with installation instructions and
some kind of user manual. (like your DBG400 that even has a installation
program)

3. Unlike Linux os/400 is not for free. The iSeries knows a lot of licensed
programs. Try to work around those licensed programs, like I mentioned in the
last line of suggestion 1.
Besides the sources the objects (precompiled version of the sources) should
be available for download.

Kind regards and be so kind to keep me informed

NN-Solutions BV, Netherlands (System-, softwarehouse)
Ben Thijssen, Systemmanager/programmer