I am running SuSE 7.3, kernel 2.4.9
I installed openssl with Yast. Yast stands for : "Yet Another Setup Tool"
which executes the rpm command after selecting a package.

Below is an extract of rpm -qiR openssl:
* ------------begin rpm ---------------------------
Name        : openssl                      Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.9.6b                            Vendor: SuSE GmbH, Nuernberg,
Germany
Release     : 34                            Build Date: Mon Sep 24 03:56:42
2001

SuSE series: sec
/bin/sh
/usr/bin/perl
ld-linux.so.2
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
libcrypto.so.0.9.6
libdl.so.2
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1)
* ---------------------------- end rpm -------------

The configure script will "end abnormally" when only openssl is installed.
After installing openssl-devel which contains "OpenSSL source tree, header
files and static libraries" it works fine
Beneath the outcome of rpm -qiR openssl-devel
* ---------- begin rpm ---------------------------
Name        : openssl-devel                Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.9.6b                            Vendor: SuSE GmbH, Nuernberg,
Germany
Release     : 34                            Build Date: Mon Sep 24 03:56:42
2001
Install date: Sun Dec  9 12:13:32 2001      Build Host: sturm.suse.de
Group       : Utilities/System              Source RPM:
openssl-0.9.6b-34.src.rpm
Size        : 2441436                          License: 1998-2001 The OpenSSL
Project
Packager    : feedback@suse.de
URL         : http://www.openssl.org/
Summary     : The OpenSSL source tree
Description :
This package containes the OpenSSL source tree, header files and
static libraries.

Authors:
--------
    Mark J. Cox <mark@openssl.org>
    Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@openssl.org>
    Dr. Stephen <Henson steve@openssl.org>
    Ben Laurie <ben@openssl.org>
    Bodo Moeller <bodo@openssl.org>
    Ulf Moeller <ulf@openssl.org>
    Holger Reif <holger@openssl.org>
    Paul C. Sutton <paul@openssl.org>

SuSE series: d

I tried to figure out what the "configure" scripts does and for what reason
it fails without the openssl-devel package. But I am sorry, I just do not
have the knowlegde to tell you.

I will ask a college of mine, who knows unix better than the contents of his
pockets (dutch saying). I think he will be able to explain it to me.

Ben Thijssen.