On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Gerardo Canto Valdez wrote:

> I HAVE A PROBLEM BECAUSE IN ONE ROGRAM I SENT TO PRINT BUT THE PRINT DO NOT
> START, UNTIL I SENT ANOTHER PRINT WITH ANOTHER PROGRAM THE PRINTER SEND THE
> JOB, I AM USING THE EMULATOR FOR LINUX SISTEMS  THANKS

Hi Gerardo,

I haven't seen this problem before.  I'll need more details in order
to help you.

What kind of printer is it?  Does it work properly when you print from
other Linux applications?

Try these steps:

1) Make sure you have the latest version of the tn5250 software.  It
    should be version 0.16.2 or 0.17.1.

2) Set up your lp5250d configuration like this:

   test {
      host = your-as400-name.example.com
      env.DEVNAME = your-printer-name
      outputcommand = scs2ascii > /tmp/test.txt
   }

   and re-start lp5250d:

   killall lp5250d
   lp5250d test

3) On the AS/400, hit your print screen button, just like you did
    when you noticed the problem.

4) Before printing anything else, check your spooled files on the
    AS/400.  TO do this, type WRKSPLF  You should either see your
    print screen at WTR status, or it should already be gone.
    If it is at WTR status, it should disappear within a few
    seconds -- if it does not, I'll need to know exactly what
    happens here.

5) Once the file is gone from the AS/400, it should be in the file
    called /tmp/test.txt.   Type:

    less /tmp/test.txt

    You should see your print screen.  If you do, then lp5250d is
    working properly.   If not, I'll need to know exactly what
    happens here.

6) Now, type:
     lpr /tmp/test.txt

    This should make your print screen print.  If it does not, then
    the problem is in the way that you've configured your Linux machine
    to print things.

7) IF everything has worked up til now, repeat step 2, above, except
    this time change the outputcommand to say:
       outputcommand=scs2ascii|lpr

   And re-start the printer with:
        killall lp5250d
        lp5250d test

8) If the steps above worked, your print screen should now work.