On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, James Rich wrote:

> I haven't got DocBook up and running here.  That is what I want to use for
> the HOWTO since it follows the LDP standard.  Maybe I can bug you little
> on it?  Is there a latex -> DocBook converter?

I'm not familiar with Latex, but unless Latex is also a markup language
for technical documentation, I rather doubt it.  DocBook tries to use
markup tags to identify _what_ a piece of data is, rather than _how_ to
display it.

In other words, you'd say something like:

   What the heck is <application>Latex</application>?

instead of:

  What the heck is <bold>Latex</bold>?

Then, you let the various presentation formats (PDF, RTF, HTML, etc)
decide what the best way to display an application name is (since it's
not always the same in different formats)

So, unless Latex is similar, it probably couldn't be converted directly.

> > Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is that perhaps I could help with the
> > HOWTO?  Now that I've got some experience with SGML?
> >
> > Do you have some ideas as to what the content of the HOWTO should be?
>
> I have some stuff, but it is in latex format.  I also have collected
> several emails from the list with instructions so I don't have to go back
> through the archives and search.  I can get this to you and anyone else
> who wants to look at it tomorrow.

Please send them to me, yes.   If possible, in text/plain format, since
I'm not familiar with Latex :)

Thanks...