Scott Klement wrote:

> I would imagine that a null-modem cable is possible -- of course, all
> of the documentation that you'll find is aimed at people using modems,
> so it might be a bit tricky.   I would guess that you need to make
> the line description be non-switched, and set up a custom "modem
> information" profile that has no init strings or other modem command
> strings.   Should be doable -- but of course, I haven't tried it. :)

That was what I was thinking.  If there are no modem init strings or dial
strings, hopefully it will just connect.  I guess I'll see.

> You might try asking this question to the people at the midrange-l
> mailing list (also at midrange.com), theres a lot more people there who
> have done things like this.

I checked the archives, and the general consensus seems to be that one can use
modem eliminators to connect two AS/400s together.  I assume the same would
work for an AS/400 to a Linux box.  Perhaps short haul modems would work also

> If this is a CISC AS/400 (I think the 9402-400 was) then you'll be
> stuck at 19200 bps...  but that should be fast enough for tn5250.

Actually, it is a RISC box.  I'm not sure how fast the 2612 controller can go,
but for emulation it doesn't have to be super-fast.  Another option would be to
pick up a 2617 ethernet or 2619 token ring card plus the 7108 expansion gate.
I've seen the token ring cards on e-bay for very cheap.  The expansion gate I
saw online somewhere for $175.

> As an alternative, you also try contacting John Ross at www.netshare400.com,
> he provides an as/400 timeshare service that you can use over the
> internet.   He has special rates for people working in open-source
> projects, so that might help you out -- if you're not hell-bent on
> running your own system. :)

I don't know if I would call it hell-bent, but since I bought it and had it
shipped, I'm going to get it connected to my linux box one way or the other.
;-)