  • Subject: Re: Very importand (feature) - please read
  • From: Beat Rubischon <beat@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:44:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hello!

Am 27.07.01 schrieb Patrick Bielen:

> But there are three things i miss, and they are ....
>
> 1. Key-macros as in Client Access for windows.

OK, this should be done inside tn5250. It's the right place for
such a feature.

> 2. file transfer from or to an AS/400 as in CA for Win.

Also CA/400 dosen't do this over the telnet-session - it uses a
remote SQL-package to do any file transfers. I think, this is
another application for UNIX/Linux/BSD. Some days ago I remember
to saw such a tool on the ftp-server of tn5250 - but it seems to
be dropped.

May be, DB/2 for Linux is a solution for you? It's a database
client (and also server) with tools to provide access to any
remote DB2 server.

> 3. the possibility to connect (mount) to share-folders (windows-folders)
>    This one is maybe not possible with tn5250 (because of SNA) ?

There are two possibilities to get the files on a AS/400:

- NFS
  mount -t nfs as400:/some/path /some/path

- SMB
  mount -t smbfs //as400/some/path /some/path

This was working great on V4R3 - after that release, IBM has
broken something... I don't have currently access to a RISC
System and therefore I can't track this situation. But it is a
discussion topic in comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc and I hope, it is now
fixed in V5R1.0.

We receive soon a 270 in our office and I should be able to give
more feedback to the running tn5250 developement. Debugging
tn5250 with a good old E04 is painfully slow ;-)

Greetings Beat

--
Beat Rubischon       \|/     See http://www.rubis.ch/~beat/ for
<beat@rubis.ch>    ( 0^0 )   snail- & e-mail, phone, fax & PGP