  • Subject: Re: EBCDIC <-> ASCII translation tables
  • From: Jason Felice <jfelice@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:22:31 -0400

Carey Evans wrote:

> A long time ago, I wrote about ISO-8859-2:
>
> > I tracked it down to recode itself.  It looks like RFC1345 defines
> > "IBM870" differently to IBM (now) defines CCSID 870.  recode, as well
> > as glibc's iconv function, are based on RFC1345; and transmaps.h in
> > tn5250 is generated from recode's output.
>
> I've come up with a new set of tables, and a Python program (that's
> only a bit more complicated than it needs to be) to generate
> transmaps.h from them.
>
> Because the tables are separate, they can be updated more easily and
> new character sets that recode doesn't understand can be added.
>
> To download the Python `transmaps' and the tables I've done so far, see:
>
>     http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/sw/transmaps/
>
> I think it would be a good idea for the transmaps.h generated from
> this to go into tn5250, once everyone's happy with the character sets
> included, since it fixes incorrect mappings in most of the character
> sets.

Hmm, I'm looking at your new transmaps generator - overall I like
(especially the Python
part - I've been using it a lot lately).  This is much less icky than
the current transmaps
generator.

However, my opinion is this:  If we're going to change it, let's go to
an internal Unicode
representation and not just find better ways to implement the current
hack.  Correct me if
I'm wrong, but from what you have there I think that mapping to the
32-bit Unicode type
wouldn't be difficult, and from there mapping to iso-8859-x wouldn't be
difficult.

0.17.x tree, I'd
like to do it the Right Way (tm).

Side note: Last call for bugs in 0.16.0pre1 - (yes, I've been ignoring
the list a little
lately - it's this work thing *sigh* - I don't think I missed any bugs,
tho).  If I'm being
a dunce and there are bugs, let me know - I'd like to wrap up 0.16.0
next week.

> --
>          Carey Evans  http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/
>
> Prof:    So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
>          encryption standard and they came up with ...
> Student: EBCDIC!"

What are you talking about?  EBCDIC isn't standard!

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice