  • Subject: RE: tn5250 fixed (I hope)
  • From: wsuetholz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:02:06 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

<RAMBLE>
That behavior was actually started in SysV 3.2 on the Intel 386.  On the
AT&T 3B2 system with SysV3.2 it NULL actually pointed to 0 because of the
memory being initialized.  This has caused some errors that are still in
some system programs on the systems derived from Intel SysV 3.2 which UW
is.  Even UW7 which, in my opinion has too much SCO, has some of these types
of problems.  The usual one being a sloppy check of command line arguments
by comparing them to '\0' instead of (char *)NULL.

The above made my life very difficult when I was porting software from the
3B2's to the AT&T Intel based systems.  I even reported it as a bug to AT&T
at the time, and they said it wasn't their problem, it was the problem of
sloppy programmers checking character 0 instead of NULL pointer.
</RAMBLE>

Hope the above wasn't to out of place...

As far as the key handleing goes..  Are you using the ncurses libraries
or the curses libraries?  Mine was working last time I checked using the
ncurses library on UW 2.1.  Of course that was a while ago..

Bill Suetholz

On 17-May-00 Mike Madore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I fixed the last bug that was keeping the emulator from starting up and
> working on UnixWare 7.  Scott I hope this will fix your problem as
> well.  Basically, Linux initializes memory to 0 and this behavior cannot
> be counted on, at least on UnixWare.  I've fixed all the places I could
> find were variables were not being initialized to zero or NULL
> appropriately.
---