  • Subject: Re: Character maps - GNU recode.
  • From: Carey Evans <c.evans@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 13 Feb 2000 18:56:53 +1300

"Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@shell.nacs.net> writes:

> Okay, you've convinced me.  I made a minor modification to the transmaps
> script once, but I recall I just didn't follow it - are you game?

No problem.  There's actually only 19 EBCDIC CCSIDs known to both the
AS/400 and `recode', at least according to their online manuals.  Most
of these still get converted to ISO-8859-1.  The exceptions are:

        IBM870  ISO-8859-2      East European
        IBM905  ISO-8859-3      Turkey Latin3
        IBM880  ISO-8859-5      Cyrillic
        IBM420  ISO-8859-6      Arabic (incomplete, though)
        IBM875  ISO-8859-7      Greek
        IBM424  ISO-8859-8      Hebrew
        IBM1026 ISO-8859-9      Turkey Latin5
        IBM290  JIS_X0201       Japanese Katakana Extended

I've attached a transmaps perl script to generate the new transmaps.h
below.  Note that the character descriptions for EBCDIC character
sets, such as "en", "uk", "fr", etc. are gone, since they're not used
by the AS/400.  This may affect a few other parts of the program which
look for an "en" translation table, and any users that aren't
specifying a numeric CCSID for the -m option.

At least for those that correspond to numeric CCSIDs, I could be
persuaded to put them back in, but "en" isn't actually one of these.

"In general, it is best to assume that the network is filled with
malevolent entities that will send in packets designed to have the worst
possible effect." - Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 1123 (Oct 1989)

New transmaps.h generator