"I'e been working with Sean Porterfield (well, mostly not working, just
observing bugs really), expect a new release soon.  Right now there are some
character translation issues relating to not having an understanding of
translation maps like 5250 does, and an XML format issue which may not be an
issue but a Perl XML::Parser bug.  That and an issue with different releases
of OS/400 have different record lengths for DSPFFD output, which we use to
translate the file."

     Hmm.  Usually the best way around release inconsistencies like the
     DSPFFD problem you encountered is to use the system APIs to retrieve
     the same information.  The formats returned from these APIs are
     guaranteed not to change between OS/400 releases.

     Unfortunately, the API (QUSLFLD) writes its output to a user space,
     not to a file, so there is no (obvious) way to FTP the results back to
     the client.  Shame, because the APIs tend to be orders of magnitude
     faster than command-line equivalents.  I'll keep thinking about this
     one...

"Now that I've discouraged you from using it <g>, try it, see if it works,
and feedback is much appreciated."

     In XML_putc() the question is asked: /* What's &apos; ? */  I assume
     the answer is 'apostrophe', or single quote.  Also, would it be
     possible to get the program to prompt for a user ID and password?  I
     don't like the idea of my password being stored in the shell command
     history file.

     (I'd hack it myself, but my C code is horrible...)