  • Subject: A bunch of replies to stuff I missed.
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 00:06:13 -0500

Okay, I've been moving from one job to my own business (well, partly my own
business), and wasn't paying to silly little things like, oh, that you had
to confirm the subscription to linux5250.  *sigh*  I've been too busy to really
look into it.  (I thought it was kinda quiet here!)

Going through the archives.
Almiro Lopes:  I haven't tested printing support in a while, and yes, this is
a bug.  It will be fixed shortly.

Chad S. Lauritsen:  There were a few reasons we moved from C++ to C, the main
one was that C++ support under gcc (and most other compilers) sucked to
varying degrees, seriously harming portability.  This is much better now,
especially since egcs/gcc 2.95.x is on the scene - but still not very good in
the sense of compiler backward compatibility.  One specific case was
someone trying to get it to compile on a NeXT box which didn't support some
C++ constructs (operator overloading).  Frankly, C just has a lot more road
experience.

Another reason was that C is the universal "language extension/embedding"
language (at least under 'NIX and DOS and 'doze).  Having the core
functionality in a nice library gives us a few options, and Perl language
bindings and Scheme language bindings are on the todo list for applications
such as screen scraping and embedding in GUI applications.

Elias Mandouvalos: Having tn5250 in the FreeBSD ports tree RULES :)

Pradip Shah: Is this a scs2pcl deal, as opposed to our scs2ascii?  I'd be
interested, for sure.   I'd also be interested in an scs2ps if someone cares
to hack PostScript (there are still a few people who write documents in
postscript with vi... these people should be bowed down before and worshipped
as the gods they are ;)  One thing to note: it's on the todo list to move most
of the scs code into lib5250 (I just realized how foreign this may sound to
AS/400 users who call libraries "service programs"), but I don't maintain the
printing support very well, as I don't use it often at all.  Hmm, thought:
scs2html?

David Gibbs: You were missing a `"' in the new index for the mail archives,
causing Feb not to be visible.   Also, the http server wasn't set to regard
index.htm as an index paged.  I fixed both.

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice
jasonf@nacs.net <== Note address, jasonf@baldwingroup.com doesn't work anymore