  • Subject: Re: iconv()
  • From: Carey Evans <c.evans@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 05 Jan 2000 23:18:28 +1300

"Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@Baldwingroup.COM> writes:

 > What was the problem with not getting iconv() to work for us?  Am I wrong on
 > any of my above points?

At least with the glibc 2.1 iconv(), error handling is very poor.  If
it encounters a character it can't translate, it errors out without
any way to recover.

There are also some advantages to the tables that recode generates.
In the case of codepage 273 for German, codepoint 0xbc is an "overline"
(Unicode 0x203e), which isn't part of ISO-8859-1.  It looks the same
as a "macron" (ISO-8859-1 character 0xaf) though, which is what recode
uses.

There's also no way to use iconv() to convert to whatever the local
multibyte encoding is, unless we know what it is in advance.  We can
probably assume UTF-8 if going for internationalisation, although who
knows what wchar_t is?

I think the main obstacle to using iconv() was that nobody had it
available to test last February when we were discussing it, so nothing
got done.

(BTW, I have a mostly complete archive of the linux5250 mailing list
going back to 20 Nov 1998.  Does anyone want to put it up on the web
somewhere?)

CONFIG_IPL_RDR
   Select this option if you want to IPL the image from a real card reader.