  • Subject: Re: Stupid question
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:13:28 -0500

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 03:53:17PM -0500, Sean Porterfield wrote:
> "Chad S. Lauritsen" wrote:
>
> > Stoopid question:
> >
> > Is there a way to change the shape of the cursor in the console version of
> > tn5250? Now it's a blinking underline...my users complain it's hard to see.

Hmm, VGA hardware can do it... I remember under DOS doing some funky INB and
OUTB ops to set the starting and ending scan-line for the cursor.  (Or was that
a BIOS call?).

I'd check the programs util-linux package (setterm seems to be a good bet, a
cursory glance suggests that it might not have _that_ particular feature, but
it looks like it would have other things useful for having the cursor stand
out, maybe).   If that doesn work, check SVGATextMode.  Some experimentation
is always required for mucking with it, but you can get some nice text modes
out of it as well (I run 132x43x8 on my consoles at home, and the font is
nice and readable on a 17" monitor - none of the ugly pixelated fonts that
you see when you even just do 'mode con: lines=50' under Windoze).
SVGATextMode seems to suggest that it's possible to make VGA hardware support
underlining, although I haven't figured out how yet.

> Sorry I don't have an answer...  But it's not a stupid question!  That cursor
>is
> hard to see!
>
> I have a question too, though (a stupid one, I guess) - I generally run xt5250
> now.  Is there any way to get the cursor repositioned when I click in the
>window?
>  I hate having to use the arrow keys to move half way across the screen (I
>used to
> avoid mice... go figure.)

I've considered adding mouse support, and would like to have it.  There are
some functions in -lncurses for reading mouse events as well as key events.

'specially in the GTK+ and Gnome versions when they're all done - Some
emulators can figure out that you are viewing a menu and where the options are
and allow you to click on them - this is something I think is particularly
nifty.  Clicking on function keys is easier - just look for 'Fx=' when
displaying the data.

-Jay