  • Subject: Re: FW: Re: 5250 Data Stream Operation Codes
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:46:39 -0500

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 04:50:31PM -0600, wsuetholz@centonline.com wrote:
> Not everybody follows the tn3270e list...  But due to recent problems
> with an unknown order of 0x0D which is mentioned in this document, I thought
> I'd forward this over to this list.  (Hope nobody else does it too :-)

I should probably start following it.

> Bill Suetholz
>
> -----FW: <86EDBD151558D311BB5700508B2E03FC0E4B0E@pikachu.wrq.com>-----
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:37:45 -0800
> Sender: owner-tn3270e@list.nih.gov
> From: Barry Hansen <barryh@wrq.com>
> To: "TN3270E@LIST.NIH.GOV" <TN3270E@LIST.NIH.GOV>
> Subject: Re: 5250 Data Stream Operation Codes
>
> I wish to point out the opcode list in that document is sadly incomplete and
> out of date. You will want to consider handling a more complete set, like
> this:
>
>     x00  No operation
>     x01  Invite op
>     x02  Put
>     x03  Put-then-Get
>     x04  Save screen
>     x05  Restore screen
>     x06  Read immediate
>     x07  Read mod immediate alt
>     x08  Read screen
>     x09  Internally generated Put (not used in DSPT)
>     x0A  Cancel invite
>     x0B  Turn on MSG light
>     x0C  Turn off MSG light
>     x0D  Read screen with extd attributes
>     x0E  Read screen to print
>     x0F  Read screen to print extd attributes
>     x10  Read screen to print with gridline
>     x11  Read screen to print with gridline with extd attributes
>
> Sorry but I don't know of any documentation on op codes. As far as I know,
> none exists. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Actually, there are opcodes, commands, and orders.  We were having a problem
with orders (which are part of the Write To Display command, which are done
with the Put opcode).  The distinction has thrown me a few times as well - I
personally see no reason to have both opcodes and commands; using one or the
other would have been perfectly adequate.  I think the real reason behind
opcodes was that the SNA transport is more complex than TCP/IP, and contains
more information which is used for scheduling packets and other such nonsense.
But don't quote me on that, I just blew up a Twinax installation :)