  • Subject: Re: tn5250 0.15.3 bugs
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:28:27 -0500

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 11:53:53PM -0600, Scott Klement wrote:
> Well, I finally had a chance to try the latest version...
>
> My observations:
>
> 1)  Signed Fields don't work.   Negative numbers will function
>     just fine, but positive numbers return invalid values every
>     time!  This causes programs to crash with "decimal data
>     errors."

Hmm, will check; do you know if these are 'signed numeric' fields or
'number only' fields?  In one, there is a separate sign position which contains
'-' or ' '; in the other, there is no sign position, but field minus shifts
the zone of the last digit (so that you will get one of '{JIKL...'

> 2)  It appears to "beep" randomly when displaying a screen.
>     Some screens always beep, others don't, I can't find any
>     rhyme or reason to it.  I haven't actually tried it on a
>     screen thats SUPPOSED to beep... only on those that are not.

I'm aware of this, but extraneous beeping isn't high on my list of bug fixes.
Probably because I run stuff under screen, where I get a visual bell instead
of an actual beep (I'm starting to think that some people's 'screen flicker'
problems are related, but I'm not sure).

> 3)  At "random times", I'm having lines "revert" in SEU.
>     I'll try to make changes to a line of source code, while I'm
>     typing the changes, everything shows up just fine.  When I
>     hit enter, the source line reverts back to what it was before
>     I changed it.  (VERY DANGEROUS!!)  Again, I haven't been able
>     to find a pattern of when it does this, or why...

I will look into this, but given the situation, I may not be able to reproduce
this.  Please email me a tracefile if you can.

> 4)  The behavior of the END key has changed.   When I hit END it
>     goes to the very last character in a field, rather than the
>     last non-blank character.   This isn't necessarily "wrong",
>     since I know many 5250-class terminals that work this way,
>     however I really don't like this :)  It makes the end key
>     completely useless to me.  The way it USED to be worked a
>     whole lot better!

Oops.  :(  Okay, will fix.

> 5)  I still am able to consistently get Assertion Failed errors,
>     causing the emulator to core dump in UPDDTA, wasn't sure if
>     you worked on this or not, as its an old problem that was
>     previously reported, but I thought I'd let you know that its
>     still a problem :)

Nope, the assertion I just fixed would be unrelated.  Even just the assertion
message is helpful here, as it contains the line number on which the asserton
failed.  A trace would be _very_ helpful here.

> Anything I can do to help?  Let me know.

Other than the tracefile, you can hire me :)

Warning: Off Topic:

To all who might be interested:
I think it's time to move on, and I'd like a job as a Linux software engineer/
software desginer/high-level support (e.g. like this email list, not answering
calls about pressing the any key or turning caps lock off to get the password
right).  I have consulting experience as well.  I have too many commitments
here (in Cleveland, OH, USA) to relocate, but I work better when left
to my own devices.

Contact me via email (jasonf@nacs.net), and I will get you a list of references
and a resume, as well as more information.

It's probably inappropriate to post this message here, but I would like to
continue my work on Linux-AS/400 connectivity and I can't do that unless I
have access to an AS/400.  Note that I'm not asking to get paid for tn5250 and/
or RPG compiler development work (although that would certainly be fun :)

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice